Freitag, 15. Januar 2016

Juli - Wir beide


Title: Wir beide
Artist: Juli
Album: Ein neuer Tag (also as single)
Year: 2006

A song that you could just as well sing to your best friend as your boyfriend/girlfriend/partner.

VIDEO HIGHLIGHT: The blonde singer on the right is the current singer of Juli, Eva Briegel, but I'm not sure who the brunette on the left is. Supposedly it's her best friend, but so far I haven't found the answer, even with the power of the internet. Let me know if you know!


Deutsch
English
Strophe 1:
weißt du eigentlich^
was du bist für mich?
alles andre als normal
und jederzeit loyal, royal

du bist mein Fundament
keine, die mich so gut kennt
keine, die mich sieht wie du
*1 Old Shatterhand...
...und ich Winnetou

Refrain:
immer werden wir so bleiben
jung und frei und schön
wir beiden stehen auf der guten Seite
Jahr für Jahr
immer werden wir so bleiben
lachen über schlechte Zeiten
deine Schmerzen sind auch meine
Jahr für Jahr

Strophe 2:
weißt du eigentlich^
was du tust für mich
wenn du meine Lasten trägst und
dich mit meinen Feinden schlägst?

ich vertraue dir mehr als mir
*2 und ich liebe dich dafür...
...dass du bist wie du bist
...dass du niemals vergisst
was das Wichtige ist

wir beide...

(Refrain)
Verse 1:
do you know
what you are for me?
everything but normal
and always loyal, royal

you’re my foundation
[there’s] no one, that knows me so well
[there’s] no one, that sees me like you
[you'r] Old Shatterhand...
...and I'm Winnetou

Chorus:
we’ll always stay like this
young and free and beautiful
we both stand on the good side
year after year
we’ll always stay like this
laughing about bad times
your pains are also mine
year after year

Verse 2:
do you know
what you do for me
when you carry my burdens and
battle against my enemies?

I trust you more than myself
And I love you because...
...you are as you are...
...[and] you never forget
what’s most important

The two of us...

(Chorus)


**1 
REFERENCE: "Old Shatterhand...und ich Winnetou"
A fictional wild west duo that appears in wild-west novels by Karl May, but is perhaps best known for appearing in the hit German film, “Schuh des Manitu.” The film is a silly satire of wild-west movies and my German friends couldn't believe that I hadn't seen it (I have now. I liked it). I don't know if there are English subtitles for the whole movie, but here's an scene on Youtube with subtitles.

**2 

ich liebe dich dafür =literally= “I love you for that.” 
The “that” in "for that" refers to the next two lines, which are:
"dass du bist wie du bist" =literally= “that you are as you are” and 
"dass du niemals vergisst" =literally= “that you never forget.” 
This whole formulation sounds totally normal in German. The only way to make it elegant in English is to rewrite it with the word “because."

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen